Health Risks Associated with Wet Basements

Wet basements can lead to not only property damage and expensive clean-up, but can also lead to a number of health problems and risks. Wet basements lead to mold growth, as mold growth is spurred by excessive indoor moisture or water accumulation. When mold spores land on a damp spot indoors, they begin growing and multiplying, and can live on such surfaces as wood, paper, and carpet. The only way to stop mold growth is by eliminating indoor moisture.

Wet basements and mold can trigger varied health effects in most people. When mold exposure is great, some individuals, particularly those with allergies and asthma, can experience mild to serious health problems. In high concentrations, mold can trigger symptoms in individuals who do not have allergies. Allergic reactions to mold can be immediate or delayed. Allergic reaction symptoms include:
Respiratory problems, such as coughing and wheezing
Nose and throat irritation
Nasal or sinus congestion
Eye irritation
Sensitive to light
Sneezing
Skin rash or irritation
Headache
Fatigue

Exposure to mold can also lead to respiratory infections and such severe reactions as fever, shortness of breath, or even lung infections.